Sometimes we need an ingredient that we are out of or need a keto replacement for a commonly used item. These should help.
Milk and lemon juice/white vinegar replace buttermilk in most recipes. I use Fairlife milk which is perfectly ok to use and add lemon juice/vinegar to it. You could also use diluted heavy cream if that’s what you have.
- 1 cup milk to 1 T lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 minutes
Brown Sugar –
Mix the following well with a fork.
- 1 cup of granular sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of maple extract
Sweetened Condensed Milk –
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 Cup Sweetener
- Place all ingredients in a medium sized saucepan or skillet over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until reduced by nearly half, stirring several times to prevent scorching. (You should not have to stir continuously, just once in a while.)
- This will take between 15-20 minutes.
- The end product should be thick and gooey (and delicious)!
- Makes approximately 1 -1 1/2 cups of Sweetened Condensed Milk.
Cream of Mushroom Soup –
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 spring onion/scallion sliced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 5 cups mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cups heavy cream
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter and gently fry the onion, garlic and mushrooms until soft. This should take about 5 minutes.
- Reserve a few cooked mushrooms as garnish, then pour the vegetable stock into the saucepan, stir and simmer gently for another 5 minutes,
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, puree until smooth using a stick blender with the blade attachment. Add the cream and gently heat again, but do not allow to boil.
- Serve with a drizzle of cream and a few mushroom slices for garnish.
- If you would love to enjoy some low-carb bread alongside, take a look at my low-carb almond flour bread recipe.
Simple Substitutions –
- Butter = Coconut oil
- Wine = Broth
- Baking Powder (1 tsp) = ¼ tsp baking soda = ½ tsp cream of tartar
- Chocolate (unsweetened) 1 oz = 3 Tbsp = 1 Tbsp butter/coconut oil
- Chocolate (semi-sweet) 1 oz = Unsweetened chocolate + 4 tsp sweetener
- Bread Crumbs = Ground pork rinds alone or mixed with almond flour
- Honey (1 cup) = 1.25 cup Sweetener + ⅓ cup water