I love French Onion Soup, it’s my all time favorite. I do order it in restaurants, usually without the bread, but I never really know what’s in it…This isn’t a soup, but it has all the flavor of a good french onion soup though. I think I might play with it and see if I could turn it into a soup, a french onion and zoodle soup sounds pretty good to me. I served this with halibut, but if you added some left over pot roast or beef tips, it could be a whole meal.
French Onion Zoodle Bake
- 2 1/2 cups zucchini noodles (about two medium sized zucchinis)
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon granulated sweetener
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup fontina cheese, grated (I used smoked gouda)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion into skillet and cook for a few minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, sweetener, and Worcestershire sauce,. Stir and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add beef broth and cook until onions are golden brown about 12 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally to keep the onions from burning.
- Grease a small baking dish with butter or coconut oil.
- In a large bowl combine zucchini noodles and French onion mixture.
- Pour the French onion zoodle mixture into the dish and garnish top with cheese.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
Original recipe found at www.climbinggriermountain.com