This is a warm and creamy soup that could be a side or a main dish. Chicken or sausage would fit nicely with the flavors in this. The spinach could be swapped out for kale or another green if desired. Hot and ready is under 45 minutes.
Spinach Artichoke Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 – 9 oz pkg. frozen chopped spinach or 10 oz fresh spinach
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ⅛ – ¼ tsp xanthan gum (Optional for thickening)
- 1 – 14 oz can artichoke hearts or bottoms drained and roughly chopped
- 1¼ cup heavy cream or half & half (half & half would cut the calories drastically)
- 1 – 8 oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tsp pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese plus another 1/2 cup for garnish
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in spinach, froze is fine. If using fresh spinach, add by the handful and allow a minute to cook down, repeat.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes or until spinach is warmed throughout.
- Pour in chicken broth and heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add xanthan gum (optional for thickening) and stir well.
- Reduce heat to LOW. Add heavy cream, mix well.
- Add cream cheese and let melt slowly, add artichokes and cook about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste
- Stir in parmesan cheese, stir until melted
- Sprinkle with extra parmesan cheese.
- Add ins – mushrooms, chicken, sausage…