One of my favorite sauces pre keto was a Root Beer BBQ sauce…it took a while before I was ready to duplicate, but here it is and it was wonderful!
Root Beer BBQ Sauce
- 1 can Zevia root beer
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp molasses (skip if you are strict)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger (ginger paste)
- 1-2 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-4 tbs brown sweetener (+/- based on desired sweetness)
- 1 cup ketchup (sugar free) (1 can diced tomatoes, blended)
- 1 tbsp mustard (I like a sweet hot mustard)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 -1 tsp chili powder
- 1-3 tsp lime juice (if needed to cut the sweet)
- 1/8 tsp xanthan gum (optional, if needed to thicken)
- In a medium sauce pan, simmer root beer and balsamic until reduced by half
- Saute onion, garlic and ginger in the butter in a small pan
- Add softened onion mix to reduced root beer
- Add other liquid ingredients, stir and heat for about 5 minutes
- Add sweetener, ketchup, mustard and seasonings.
- Simmer another 5-10 minutes and taste…add lime juice and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Allow to cool or brush on meats and grill.
Add any other seasonings and flavors to make it perfect for you. I like a little orange juice or orange zest.