These could be made with just about any fish or seafood, crab, shrimp, tuna….
A great option for left-overs or a budget friendly way to stretch your dinner. Can be made simple or as elegant as you want. A completely versatile meal addition, make them small for an appetizer or party food or make them into a burger-sized sandwich. I like them all by themselves and since they don’t “look like fish” kids like them too
Salmon Patties (Salmon, Tuna, Shrimp or Crab)
- 1.5 lb canned or cooked fish (no bones or skin, drain if canned)
- 1 large egg , lightly beaten
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup pork panko
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp
- 3 T green chile peppers or jalapenos for a spicier flavor (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- Chop or flake cooked fish or seafood.
- Sauté the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes in a little butter or oil, set aside and let cool.
- Mix the mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper and whisk till combined.
- Add cilantro and peppers
- Add the fish (or other seafood), beaten eggs, celery, cooked onions and pork panko, and mix gently
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil to medium high.
- Using your hands, form into desired sized patties, cook cakes until golden brown and crisp on the outside, about 3 minutes per side.
- Store finished patties in hot oven on a sheet pan with cooling rack on top while cooking batches
- You may need to add a tablespoon of oil to the pan between batches.