I love curry, but not spicy. This recipe is not spicy at all…but you could easily add the amount of spice you like with seasoning like chili powder, peppers or sriracha sauce.
This is great because you can add just about any vegetable, fresh or frozen. Firmer veggies should be partially cooked or sauteed before adding.
Chicken Curry Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 -3 stalks celery
- 1/2 onion
- Other veggies such as zucchini, carrots, leeks, peppers, mushrooms (jalapenos, for heat)…
- 1 32 oz box chicken broth or bone broth
- 4 oz unsweetened coconut milk (canned, add more for that creamy, coconutty flavor….Heavy cream is ok too)
- Chili powder for heat (if you want spicy)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, diced (or cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Noodle or rice sub of choice (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Chopped green onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Bean sprouts
- Melt butter in large pot, add garlic, ginger and curry powder, saute until fragrant.
- Add onion, celery and any other vegetables in butter until tender in large sauce pan.
- Add chicken broth, and coconut milk, simmer over medium heat.
- Add cooked chicken and simmer until heated through, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Mix in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add rice or noodle sub into each bowl and ladle soup over top. (or skip it and eat as is, yum!)
- Sprinkle green onion, sprouts and cilantro over.
Could also be topped with diced avocado or Greek yogurt/sour cream.