I had some blue cheese left over from wedge salads the other day and had planned on a cucumber salad for dinner. I started looking for ideas to incorporate the blue cheese into the cucumbers, this was the delicious result and I am hooked.
Blue Cucumbers (Wedge Style Cucumber Salad)
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup white onion, minced (red is wonderful too)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon sweetener
- 1 pinch pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Diced tomato (optional)
- Crumbled bacon (optional)
- Half & half or heavy cream (a tablespoon or so can this the dressing a little if needed)
- With a spoon, scoop out the seeds from the cucumber halves.
- Slice the cucumbers into thick half moons, and place the slices on a plate on paper towels.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of salt over the cucumber slices, and set aside. (You could skip this, but the cucumbers will weep their juices and make the dressing separate, causing it to be more liquid the longer it sits)
- Place the onion, sour cream, white wine vinegar, dill, sugar, and white pepper in a bowl, and mix until well combined.
- Pat the cucumber slices dry with paper towels, and lightly mix them into the salad. For a slightly different look and texture, you can dice the cucumber.
- Stir in the blue cheese and add any optional toppings.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving; season to taste with salt (might not need it) just before serving.