Mac & cheese is always a great side dish, it can be made simple to go with burgers or a little fancier to go with steak. It can be made in a pot or baked in the oven and the cheese options are never ending.
Substitute the macaroni with cauliflower and not only do you have a wonderful side dish, but another delicious way to get vegetable in your family.
Think outside the norm when it comes to cheeses, a tablespoon of blue cheese adds a little flavor without becoming overwhelming, smoked cheddar or gouda would go nice with a brisket or pulled pork, and pepper jack would kick it up a little. Step away from plain old cheddar and mix and match the cheeses.
Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- 1 large cauliflower head or two bags of frozen
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 3-4 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 cup cheese shredded – 2 or 3 kinds for better flavor
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Cook cauliflower to a firm but done texture.
- Make sure to drain any excess water before adding to sauce.
- Cut to small bites.
- In a medium pot add the butter, garlic, heavy cream, cream cheese, mustard, salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Stir the ingredients over medium heat until it all melts and comes together in a creamy sauce.
- Add the cheeses and stir until it has completely melted.
- Add the warm cauliflower and stir it until all the sauce has coated the florets.
- Can be served hot and creamy as is, or can be topped with cheese and pork rinds and baked for 10-15 minutes until bubbly.