If you’re missing apples, this idea can help. Not the same as a raw apple, but fried apples can dress up a lot of different dishes.
Great over yogurt, chia pudding, ice cream or just served with whipped cream. Could also be used in pies, or crumbles. Pre-cook chayote to about half done first.
Adding a sugar free caramel syrup, home made or store bought, can make this a whole new dish.
The chayote is a firmer, crisper option.
Fried “Apples” (Chayote)
- 1 C. chayote squash, peeled and cut into small cubes (remove seed)
- 1 T. butter
- 1-3 T. sweetener, to taste
- 2 T. water
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (or apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice)
- Peel and dice chayote, removing pit from center.
- Place chayote in a microwave proof bowl, add water. Cover and microwave 5 minutes, test doneness and continue cooking in 1 minute increments until desired texture; drain.
- Heat the butter in a medium frying pan over medium/med hi heat, add chayote and all remaining ingredients.
- Stir fry the mixture until the chayote browns and softens, about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low (add more water if necessary), cover and let sit for 5 minutes; stir occasionally. Turn off burner and cool; drain juice and discard.
- Place the apples in a container and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.
Fried “Apples” (Zucchini)
- 1 medium zucchini – peeled, quartered, then sliced about 1/4″ thick.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tbsp sweetener
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 3-4 drops of vanilla or apple extract (optional)
- Melt butter in pan. Add chopped zucchini.
- Add in sweetener, cinnamon and lemon juice saute for 3-5 minutes, or until it reaches your desired tenderness.
- Once the zucchini is tender to your liking, add in the apple pie spice and vanilla, stir well. This will thicken up the liquid quite a bit.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Crumb Topping for an “Apple” Crumble
- 1/2 c almond flour
- 2 T cold butter
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice or cinnamon
- Chopped nuts (optional)
- Mix until crumbly.
- Top “apples” with crumb mixture.
- Bake 350 for 20 min or until topping is golden.