Call it whatever you want and top it however you like. Tostadas are usually corn tortillas, and quesadillas usually are 2 tortillas….this is my lower carb/keto version. You could make the meat BBQ’d and top with cole slaw, or change it up to fit your mood. Add a top tortilla for carb’ers.
Open Faced Quesadilla (Tostada or Mexican Pizza)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1/2 lb chicken, beef or pork, shredded, diced or ground (seafood would also work)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or more to taste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- **(Change seasonings to fit your dish.)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 low carb tortillas
- **Optional Garnishes
- Cotija Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 425F.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion to the skillet and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the meat and cook and crumble until cooked through.
- Add in the salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. Stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Heat oil in smaller skillet (big enough to fit tortillas) over med – med/high heat
- Fry tortillas until puffed and crispy one one side (about 30 seconds to a minute) and flip cook second side until crisp
- Move to layered paper towels to drain
- **Quesadilla/Mexican Pizza Style
- Place 2 tortillas on an greased sheet pan or use parchment paper.
Layer the toppings on the tortillas: cheese, meat, avocado, cheese. (Avocado can be added after cooking if you want)
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 6-8 minutes, until cheese melts
- Remove from the oven, slice into 4 pieces each, and serve with preferred toppings
- **Tostada Style
- Add toppings and garnishes to fried tortilla and serve unbaked.
- This style would work great for ceviche or a cold topping.