I love teriyaki flavors, so I had to come up with a way to make it without brown sugar. This was a pretty simple change, this can be used on lots of meats besides just chicken. You can cook this down reducing it into a glaze for dipping also.
- 1 cup soy sauce (Or coconut aminos)
- 1 cup brown sweetener
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root (dried works fine)
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika (optional)
- 5 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, water, garlic, onion, ginger, black pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and paprika in a large glass or ceramic bowl.
- Add the chicken thighs, and toss to evenly coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate. (preheat oven to 375)
- Remove the chicken thighs from the marinade.
- Discard the remaining marinade. Grill the chicken thighs on the preheated grill until cooked through, about 15 minutes per side. (Bake for about 20 min per side)