On vacation this year I ate at my first Peruvian restaurant and had this wonderful dish called Lomo Saltado, it’s like stir fried fajitas and it’s tossed with french fries and served with rice.
It was amazing and seemed mostly keto friendly except for the fries and side of rice. The rice is easy since it’s a side you could just eliminate it, or serve cauliflower rice instead.
I couldn’t some up with a crispy fry substitute, but the meal I had didn’t really have crispy fries so I decided to try it with zucchini, it turned out perfect.
- 1 lb sirloin steak cut in thin slices
- Salt and pepper for the meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut in thick slices
- 1 small sweet onion, cut in thick slices
- 3 plum tomatoes, cut in thick slices
- 2 med zucchinis, cut into french fry sized slices
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or substitute with coconut aminos)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup beef stock
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 green onions sliced, tip to tail
- sliced mushrooms (optional) perfect addition!!
- 1/2 head lettuce, washed, torn and dried (iceburg, romain)
- 1 whole jalapeno, stem cut off (for less spice, de-seed and de-vein)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or white vinegar
- 1/2 head of cilantro leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 green onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil (optional for smoothness)
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add soy sauce, vinegar, beef stock and cumin in a bowl together.
- Marinate for an hour if you have the time
- Put a pan over very high heat.
- Add oil and on very high heat cook half the meat, brown on one side, flip over and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove meat and repeat with second half.
- Stir in remaining soy sauce mixture.
- Stir in the onion and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes.
- (Add mushrooms about 2 minutes in, if you’re adding them)
- add zucchini strips and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for just a minute. The tomatoes should hold their shape.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Turn off the heat
- Add chopped cilantro, green onion.
- Stir gently, but mix well
- Top with Aji Sauce
- To make aji sauce, add all ingredients to the food processor and combine until completely smooth.
- Let sit for a few hours in the fridge if you can.
- The sauce will begin to separate after a few days, so don’t make too much at once.