Steamer clams are delicious but they do have a few carbs (4.4 per 3 ounces). I always serve them as a side dish, halibut is a great companion to these. The sauce pairs as well with the halibut as it does the clams. Crab legs are wonderful too. We have also added shrimp to the mix.
Steamed Clams w/White Wine Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 pounds small steamer clams
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup cream or half and half
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Add the garlic and green onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the clams and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the white wine and the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a rolling simmer and cook until the clams open up, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter and the cream and stir.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.