These really tasted like corn dogs, they were fantastic. The corn extract can be bought online, but can be expensive…it’s not necessary, but tastes great. These reheat in an oven or toaster oven perfectly.
- 6 Hot dogs (I like Applegate Naturals)
- 1 1/2 cup Almond flour
- 2 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1 oz Cream cheese (cubed)
- 1 large Egg (beaten)
- 1/2 tsp sweetener
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp corn extract (if you have it)
- Grill or fry hot dogs, cooking them first ensures they won’t plump and bust through the dough
- While those are cooking, preheat oven to 350 and mix up dough.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 2 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated.
- Stir the flour mixture and egg into the melted cheese mixture. Working quickly while the cheese is still hot, knead with your hands until a dough forms. The dough will be very sticky, but keep kneading and squeezing through your fingers for a few minutes. If the dough becomes hard before fully mixed, is too difficult to mix, or is still sticky after a couple minutes, you can microwave/reheat for 15-20 seconds to soften it. In that case, wash your hands and knead again.
- NOTE: It’s very important for the dough to be completely uniform before proceeding to the next step. You shouldn’t have pieces of cheese separate from areas of almond flour.
- Let dough cool a bit, while it’s cooling you can put sticks in your hot dog if you are using them.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls. Flatten each ball and wrap around a hot dog, Roll it until sealed and smooth
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- You could brush with a little butter or coconut oil.
- Bake turning every 5 minutes to keep dough even. Cook for total of 14-16 minutes