A simple vegetable dish that can be adapted to any taste. A healthy side dish or a light dinner. The purple notes are my additions and substitutions. This only takes minutes to make and holds up in the refrigerator well. It would make a great potluck or BBQ addition.
For the Salad
- 2 heads broccoli, florets trimmed off and cut into bite-size pieces (About 28 oz)
- 8 ounces bacon, cooked and coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed into ¼-inch pieces (Shreds work great too)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
For the Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise (You can sub out some Greek yogurt or sour cream to lighten it up)
- 1/2 cup Sweetener or 1/4 cup Pyure (Start small and add to taste)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- Salt, pepper, garlic other seasonings to taste. Lemon juice freshens it up a little.
- A little mustard can change up the flavor too
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, bacon, cheese and onion.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sweetener and vinegar.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and stir together until everything is evenly coated.
- The broccoli salad can be served immediately, but tastes even better if you cover and refrigerate it for 1 to 2 hours before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Adding ham or chicken could make this into a full meal