Maintaining keto long term is all about substitutions. There are the obvious ones like sugar substitutes and flour substitutes….There are so many more that make life easy and bearable.
Sandwiches – You can put your favorite sandwich fixing on all kinds of things.
- Keto breads like fathead bagels, cloud bread and biscuits
- Lettuce – Romaine and butter lettuce hold up really well, but any lettuce works.
- Other vegetables can work too, cucumber slices, bell peppers…
- 90 second bread
- Cheese slices – Just put your favorite fillings between 2 slices of cheese.
- Cut up your ingredient and eat it from a bowl. This is great for things like a Reuben.
Tacos – I love tacos and there are still so many ways to eat them.
- Lettuce – Fill a leaf with all your ingredients and wrap it up
- Cheese shell – Simple instructions
- Fried “chalupa” shell – Recipe & Instructions
- Salad – make a salad with all of your taco ingredients
- If you aren’t super strict there are low carb tortilla like Mission that only have 6 net carbs. These are not “keto” because they contain wheat, but they can fit your macros if you want.
- Zoodles – Zucchini noodles, store bought or homemade
- Spaghetti squash
- Shiratake noodles – Lots of brands like Miracle Noodles or Pasta Zero(found in the produce section)
- Konjac noodles – Brands like Healthy Noodle or Skinny Pasta
Pizza – Some delicious options
- Fathead crust
- Cheese crust – Make this the same way as the cheese shell about, only leave it flat
- Vegetables – Fill a portabello mushroom, a zucchini boat, or top eggplant rounds.
- You can put everything in a bowl and microwave it for a quick pizza bowl, also good as a dip with pork rinds.
Zucchini – besides the zoodles, you can slice it thin and make lasagna, use in place of tortilla for enchiladas or make zucchini fries.