Finding a good tortilla or taco shell on keto has been hard. I have made a bunch and they either don’t taste good, or they are so fragile they can’t hold my taco fillings. I use low carb tortilla on occasion, but would rather avoid the wheat where I can. These were easy, tasty and I can imagine all kinds of possibilities. Scroll to the bottom for dessert ideas.
Chalupa (Taco) Shell or Fry Bread
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- ¾ cups almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup bacon grease (or frying oil/butter)
**You could use other seasonings for different flavors
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt mozzarella in microwave for one minute.
- Add egg and almond flour. Mix until smooth, reheat if needed.
- Separate dough into 4 portions and roll out into circles. Poke small fork holes to keep puffing to a minimum
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Heat bacon grease (or oil) in a small pan on medium-high.
- Add chalupas to grease (or oil), fry 1 minute per side or until desired crispness.
- Remove from pan and lay on paper towel to soak up the excess grease. Fold the dough(while hot) in half to solidify the shape. Repeat will all rounds
- Fill with toppings.
- While still hot and pliable, you could gently push into a bowl to make a taco salad too.
Would also be good rolled extra thin and then fried in small pieces as chips, or rolled in cinnamon/sweetener while hot and greasy.
This is a chalupa shell, covered in cinnamon sweetener, sugar free hazelnut spread, whipped cream and blueberries. BEST EVER!!