I’ve been posting a lot of desserts, so here is a yummy family friendly dinner that everyone will love. Non keto family can make regular chili dogs by just putting this on a bun. Make this as hot or mild as you like. Add vegetables to make it heartier….the sky’s the limit. Very quick and easy for a busy night.
Chili Dog Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large bell pepper
- 3/4 of a large onion, diced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1 tbsp sweetener (optional, to taste)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 8 hot dogs or smoked sausages – sliced longways down the middle and cut in half
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Combine the ground beef, 2/3 of the chopped onions, peppers and garlic in large frying pan and saute until ground beef is browned. Drain fat.
- Add spices, worcestershire, sweetener, tomato sauce, tomato paste and water to the pan. stir to combine and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Optional step, but totally makes it just like real hot dog chili: Using a food processor or immersion blender, process the chili until the beef is in very small pieces. (I do this with about half of the chili and then mix it back together, leaving some chunks)
- Lay hot dogs flat on the bottom of a 7 x 9 casserole dish. Cover with chili. (you should have enough to reserve a bit for those that are eating regular hot dogs and want chili.) Spread 1 cup of cheese over chili and top with remaining onion.
- Bake at 400 F for about 15 to 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly!
Original recipe can be found at scatteredthoughtsofacraftymom.com