This is a great comfort food soup that stores well in fridge or freezer. A perfect (and warm) alternative to a taco salad while trying to avoid tortillas and carbs. Garnish with cheese, sour cream, fresh tomatoes, olives, or anything else you would put on a taco.
Queso Soup (Taco Soup)
- 1 lb ground beef
- ½ onion, chopped
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with onions and garlic
- 1 small can of green chiles (diced)
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2½ cups beef broth (add more to thin soup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown ground beef and onions together then drain.
- In a large saucepan add ground beef and cream cheese.
- With a spoon mash the cream cheese into the ground beef so that it will combine smoothly as it melts.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- You can also add shredded cheese and sour cream to each bowl of soup.
Originally found on kaseytrenum.com