I have made this a few times, and everyone has raved about it. I make it as a replacement for the typical “green bean casserole” that everyone makes for the holidays. I actually like it better anyway.
There are a few options that I have made along the way also, including subbing out the celery for water chestnuts (forgot to buy celery), fresh mushrooms instead of canned (because I could) and of course I use whatever cheese I have. I also think this would be amazing with some other veggies, like asparagus, broccoli, maybe even brussel sprouts if you like them. I have also made it with fresh and canned…canned works in a pinch, but fresh or frozen is best.
If you want the crunch on top like the other casserole, I suggest crushed pork rinds, Whisps (or your own fried cheese crisps or maybe some low carb croutons….OR French’s Fried Onions only have 3 carbs per 2 tablespoons (who knew??)
Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- 1 12 oz bag frozen green beans (fresh is good too)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 10 oz can sliced mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Boil green beans according to package directions until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add celery, mushrooms, and garlic and cook until celery is soft.
- Add chicken broth, salt, dried onion, and thyme and continue cooking for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Pour into 9×9 pan.
- Sprinkle the reserved cheese on top and bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbling.
This recipe was originally found on The Fit Housewife